Common Types Of Workers’ Compensation Injuries In Alaska

By Justin S. Eppler

Employees who engage in a lot of physical movement risk injuring themselves while on the clock. The state of Alaska allows individuals who suffered a debilitating injury or who developed a disease as a result of dangerous chemical exposure to seek financial compensation. According to Alaska’s Department of Labor and Workforce Development, in 2017, workers’ compensation payments reached $259.5 million. Most of the benefits went to employees in specific industries. These are the top sectors in Alaska that result in serious physical injuries:


Construction workers routinely handle tools and climb great heights to complete a project. Unfortunately, they are at risk of injuries such as concussions from falling objects or sprains from a fall. An injury does not always have to be dramatic, however. Sometimes, merely carrying heavy tools can result in a back sprain that can take a long time to heal.


The Beaufort Sea and the Chukchi Sea merge into the Arctic Ocean. To make a living, fishermen often work in extreme temperatures and complete repetitive tasks that encourage strains and overexertion.


Drilling for oil is no small task. Oil is necessary for fuel, but it is also a high-risk industry where equipment malfunctions and slippery surfaces are common. Many workers put themselves in dangerous conditions while on the clock, which may have unpleasant consequences.

Of course, injuries are not limited to these three sectors. Even sitting in an office chair may result in a back sprain. Filing for workers’ compensation may entitle individuals to medical and salary coverage. Victims of a workplace accident may report an injury to their employer as a first step in determining compensation eligibility.

The large amount of money paid to Alaskan employees every year shows that the state has an interest in keeping individuals safe. While the majority of payments are to construction, fishing and oil workers, no two cases are alike. Individuals may seek compensation from any employer.