The Quality Of Your Future Depends On The Planning You Do Today
Having an estate plan in place can do more than determine who gets your assets at the end of your life. It can also provide important protections for your loved ones and peace of mind for yourself.
The Law Office of Justin S. Eppler, LLC, has a reputation for compassionate, attentive guidance for those in Anchorage and beyond who are uncertain how to proceed with planning for the future. We understand the uniqueness of each family, and we are ready to assist you in creating an estate plan that meets your goals.
What Does An Estate Plan Include?
Your estate plan will not look like everyone else’s, and it should be designed to grow and change as your life changes. However, the fundamental elements of most estate plans are these:
- A will designates who receives your assets and who will represent your estate at probate.
- A trust holds ownership of some of your assets, allowing them to pass to your heirs according to your instructions without the wait of probate.
- Powers of attorney authorize trusted individuals to make medical and financial decisions for you if you are unable to do so.
- A medical directive provides written instructions for your treatment preferences if you become seriously ill, including when to discontinue life support.
You may also wish to include other elements in your estate plan, such as the following:
- Guardian and conservator designations name someone to manage your day-to-day decisions and finances if you are unable to handle those tasks.
- Pet trusts set aside funds to provide for the care of any pets you leave behind at the end of your life.
- Gun trusts allow you and your heirs to comply with Alaska and federal laws that regulate the transfer of certain weapons, and to maintain privacy about the weapons you own.
At the Law Office of Justin S. Eppler, LLC, you will find a lawyer who will listen to your concerns and assist you in devising a plan that suits your circumstances.